Data providers timeline
Organisations that provide data to the pensions dashboards ecosystem will include pension providers, schemes, trusts, third party administrators (TPA) and integrated service providers (ISPs). All of these data providers need to take a series of steps to prepare for connection to dashboards.
The diagram below outlines the key milestones that relate to data providers and how they relate to the programme phase plan.
Programme phase one
This was the set-up phase of the Pensions Dashboards Programme. As indicated in the diagram there were significant milestones in this phase that affected data providers:
- the staging Call for Input, which provided additional detail on the proposed timings and order of staged onboarding to dashboards. The responses to this call for input fed into the draft legislation which was distributed for further consultation at the end of January 2022
- the retirement income guidance update was rolled into the draft regulations and a number of industry groups were consulted in the drafting. The draft legislation issued at the end of January 2022 provided more information on the values that pension providers need to provide to members via dashboards
- the architecture supplier was successfully onboarded, and the build and test phase of the programme began in earnest
Programme phase two
This represents the develop and test phase of the Pensions Dashboards Programme. As indicated in the diagram there were several significant milestones in this phase for data providers:
- consultation on the regulatory framework, when DWP and FCA consult on regulations and rules relating to dashboards and staging – this took place in early 2022
- identity supplier onboard, PDP will integrate the interim identity service supplier to the ecosystem to complete the end-to-end system
- technical guidance to support data provider technical development, when PDP publishes a full set of technical standards and ecosystem governance information
- early testing with volunteer providers to prove the functionality of the ecosystem
Programme phase three
This is the voluntary onboarding and ongoing test phase of the Pensions Dashboards Programme. As indicated in the diagram the significant milestones in this phase for data providers include:
- voluntary onboarding
- regulatory framework in place, when the full set of regulations, standards and guidance from government, the regulators and PDP are all in place (see below for a breakdown of how we will get to this point)
Programme phase four
This is the staged onboarding phase of the Pensions Dashboards Programme. As indicated in the diagram the significant milestone in this phase for data providers is:
- staged compulsory onboarding commences, when data providers start to connect to dashboards in the order specified by the regulations and rules
Programme phase five
This is the transition to business as usual phase of the programme, which is when the dashboard service moves into an ongoing delivery and maintenance arrangement. Any new pensions schemes plus small and micro schemes will continue to connect during this phase of the programme.
You can find out more about the programme phases for more about programme activity or view the full programme timeline for more on the responsibilities of different ecosystem participants, within each programme phase.